Leaving home and everything behind…

During my freelancing time for The Times of India, I have covered a myriad number of models, actors and other talent and got acquainted to their stories. How they left their hometowns in order to earn a better livelihood.  Some stories of their struggling days were astonishing. I used to say then ‘Wow! I’m so lucky that I have everything near me- home, friends, family etc’.

I was never known that one day I will also leave everything behind to pursue my career. After spending 23 years of my life in beautiful city Jalandhar, and working with TOI as a freelancer since 2010, I got a job in Punjab Technical University in March 2014 in Public Relations Office. In a period of 1.5 years there, I felt that this is the most comfortable job for me. I was blessed with a perfect and kind boss who used to treat me like his younger brother. He was satisfied with my services. But in the second year of my job, I felt that this organization wasn’t meant for me. The internal politics, new issues every day, the strikes etc pushed me to change my decision of shifting! But as I preferred living in a comfort zone, I was keeping myself a step back.

As my contract was terminating in August 2015, I didn’t internally wish it to have an extension, neither my boss wanted. He always wanted me to see the outside and real world. Finally, my friend Almighty gave me a signal, sent a source and offered a new job for me. I was happy to know but at the same time, I was a little reluctant. Whether to shift? Whether to move out of comfort zone? Similar questions played in my mind for around 10-15 days! Finally I decided to make a shift! It was really tough!

I decided to leave my family, friends, ready-made food, AC room, a big house with all facilities behind and stepped ahead and accepted the offer letter for a job in Public Relations Agency in New Delhi. When I told my family about this, they were mum for a few seconds and then said that it’s on me whether I can manage everything on my own or not. Believe me; it was quite tough for me to make a shift. My friends, gym-mates started giving me farewell parties and I was enjoying too because they were in fact motivating me for the decision. All my close mates encouraged me and blessed me with their wishes. My ex-boss was too happy with the decision as he always wanted to see me growing and same was with my besties.

On one side I was happy that yes I have made a wise decision but on the flip side, I was little worried. Worried because how all would be managed? How I will cope up with a big metro city. But then, I was positive at the same time that this is a signal by God, I should make a change and give a try to my professional life. Hence, I packed my bags, booked a train ticket, wrote several farewell speeches (it was hard to do though)and said a final good-bye to everybody! Between all this, the struggling stories of the talent I covered were playing on my mind. But the decision once taken was taken.


What now I can do is to stay positive, believe in my strengths and God and start giving my best to the new company and go back with a tag of a renowned name in PR field!

For updates on my first day in Delhi, remain in touch…… ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts