Bold scenes are demand of TV industry: Divyanka Tripathi




Publically adored as Ishita Bhalla, a mother of two kids in the popular soap ‘Ye Hai Mohabbatein’ on Star Plus, Divyanka Tripathi has become one of the well-known lovable faces of Indian TV industry. A trained rifle shooter, she is a complete sportsperson. Shifted to film city in the year 2006 for a daily soap that lasted for a stretch of three years, Divyanka didn’t look back and is continuously adding feathers under her hat. Having won ‘Face of the Year, Gold Awards, 2014’; ‘Best Naya Sadasya Award, Star Parivar Awards, 2014’; ‘Best Jodi of the Year Award, Star Parivar, 2014’, she wishes to get more awards in future. In a chit-chat with me, she shares more about her personal as well as professional life.

Hi Divyanka! Before we begin, I would like to ask you about your background. Please share.

Hi Kanwarpreet. I hail from Bhopal. I have studied in convent and did B.A with Psychology and Public administration, Geography from there. Acting was never my first choice of career; it was being an army officer.

That’s great!  Thus, acting was not your childhood dream?

Acting was never my first dream, I never imagined that I could look good or be a part of TV or film industry. It was unimaginable for me. I was very experimental; I used to learn singing, dancing, and drawing calligraphy. I have done all kind of courses including NCC. But acting was a far-fetched career option.

 So, what was your launch pad then?   

Formally, it would be 'Banu Mein Teri Dulhan'. That was my first big show. Before that, I have done a lot of tele-series, tele-films for Doordarshan and have worked for Akashwani. I have done a lot of ads too. I would not call them launch pad as they were good experiences but if I have to name something big, it would be 'Dulhan'. 

Your current show is gaining applause. Share your experience of it so far!

It has been a beautiful journey. Surprising and dramatic, I never expected it to be one such a huge hit. I knew it had potential but 'Yeh hai Mohabbatein' has surprised us in all the possible ways.

Daily soaps are becoming bolder now. Are you comfortable doing bold and romantic scenes on camera?

I am okay with it as far as it's a requirement for the script. I am not too much into nudity, I don't appreciate it much. Things vary from character to character. If the character demands it then it's another thing. Otherwise, expressions can say a lot. It's subjective.  

Do you think Indian viewers are ready to accept this drastic change?

Indian viewers must be watching it that's why they are showing bold and romantic scenes. Because TV is a medium made exactly for its audience. It's a demand and supply thing. So there must be demand for such romantic scenes therefore the supply is being made. Audience must be appreciating it somewhere but being an Indian and being from cultured families we might not be able to do family viewing. But when it comes to liking the romantic genre I am sure people like it a lot. 

What do you look for before signing a serial?

I look for a change in the character. I see how far the story can go. If I find the character very impressive; if I feel this role can make me go beyond a certain point where I can do many different things, I nod in agreement for the show. Otherwise, I don't fall for regular characters. 

Are you comfortable doing a character of mother of two kids?

I am comfortable playing a mother's role. That's the character I am playing. The story is all about this mother so I am okay with that. As far as stereotype is concerned, I am sure this character won't stereotype me because if I am a good actor, tomorrow I will work and make my audience convinced that I am that character. It depends on my acting skills and writing and directing ability of the production house.






"Acting was never my first dream, I never imagined that I could look good or be a part of TV or film industry"







Difference between Ishita and Divyanka!

There's very less difference left now. Earlier Ishita was stern and more into herself kind of girl whereas Divyanka had always been an open book. Eventually, we are alike. Ishita gives very good lectures but I am not that expressive, I find it hard to find right words at right times. I goof up at times but Ishita knows what to say. As they say in the show, she is good with lectures. 

Your fitness mantra

My fitness mantra is eating right food in right intervals and taking out time for cardio and workout at least four-five times a week. 

Any social cause you stand for? 

Women empowerment

So, what are your future plans?

I look at myself doing bigger projects maybe some movies, getting more awards and having beautiful family in much bigger house.

Love side of your favorite ‘bahu’

Idea of a perfect date

Watching a nice movie in theater with a popcorn tub, the movie should be good or a beach-side romantic dinner

Topmost quality you want in your partner

He should love me, that's essential

Take on live-in relationship

It has its own pros and cons, so one should be careful before taking such decisions.

Your first crush

My first crush was my teacher, a tracking instructor in class sixth

Well built or good nature?  What matters?

Good nature, that's really important for me


Rapid Fire

Define acting 
Acting is living the character

Life is…
Full of surprises

Sarees or suits in show? 
Sarees

Describe yourself in one word
Wild-child

Your one strength and weakness
My strengths are patience and perseverance and weakness is my poor memory

You can't live without
Positivity


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts