Pensive Pen of Comedy

Started writing at the age of 14, script writer Raaj Shaandilya has come a long way in the writing odyssey and now holds a Limca Book of Records for writing maximum number of scripts. He is the real pen behind what your favorite comedian speaks on screen. Having worked with all renowned faces of comedy including Kapil Sharma, Krishna-Sudesh and Bharti Singh as lead content writer, Raaj is very much serious about having an equal share of appreciation and remuneration for writers. A few months back, I got a chance to interview him through telephone in which he shared his views on the above said crucial topic and reveals much more…


Hello Raaj!!! Drive us back to your background.

Basically, I belong to Faridabad, Haryana but was born and brought up in Jhansi, UP. My schooling has been from there only. After XII, I shifted to Delhi for my higher studies and appeared for IIT-JEE. After that, I got selected in AIEEE and joined an engineering college in Bhopal.

Then how writing came to you?

I wrote my first poem at the age of fourteen and since then I am into writing. I have actually shifted from writing to engineering as my father wanted me to be an engineer. But I never wanted to do a job. I got into professional writing when ‘Laughter Challenge’ started. It was similar to an internship.  Though it was just the beginning, but luckily it was appreciated. As we all know that contact and sources matters a lot in this industry, and I lacked it at that point of time. Meanwhile, I met a few comedians during the show and discussed my work with them. I wrote for them and they got hit. This was how my professional writing started.

When did you decide to shift to Mumbai?

Well, I didn’t shift to film city purely to pursue writing. At that time, one of my singer friend from Jhansi returned from Mumbai. So, I went to film city along with him and during that time I met few people from the industry. That phase was hard, as I used to travel from Bhopal to Mumbai every Friday and return on Sunday night, as I had to attend my college every Monday. I did this for around two years. Slowly and steadily, comedy circus started and I met VIP, started writing for him in Comedy ka Baadshah. My work started being recognized. 










Raaj's work diary!

  • Comedy Circus as the main writer and content director from past 17 seasons since 2007 till 2014
  • Comedy Nights with Kapil
  • Movers and Shakers-2
  • Farah Ki Daawat special episodes
  • The Great Indian Laughter Challene
  • DID
  • Sa Re Ga Ma Pa
  • GIMA
  • ITA
  • CID Awards
  • Welcome Back movie










How much research you do while writing comedy scripts?

See, I don’t do any research because I don’t believe comedy requires any research. ‘jitni aam-admi ki zindagi mein problems hongi utni comedy niklegi’. For instance- net is not working then call customer care; engagement of younger brother etc. My scripts are purely based on my personal experiences and real life issues. I observe a lot and my scripts are also based on observational experiences. Meeting new people, interacting with them is included in scripts. 

Writers often have a fixed time to devote to their work, so what is your special time of writing?

jab main likhne baittha hu wo mera special time ban jata hai’…. I write at anytime. It’s not a shop that it needs to be opened at 9am and closed at 9pm. My mind is open and observant every time and for life time. Comedy is my life. Moreover, no special place is required. I can write at station, bus stand.  ‘Main apni sister ke pheron ke time script likh rha tha baith ke’… Sometimes you don’t have an access to internet so you use calling method. I remember when I wrote my first script for Krishna-Sudesh in 2007, I made them rehearse over telephone for more than an hour. It depends upon one’s mood. All you need is to focus and concentration.

Share the hardest thing about writing…

Writing itself is a hardest thing. Everyone is a writer. But what not to write is only known by a wise one.

Do you think writers don’t get an equal appreciation of their work as compared to actors?

Writers are heroes of every song and film. This is 100 percent true that writers are not getting that worth. Here, the fault is of writers too. There are different types of writers. One who writes for free or for low amount, which was done earlier. But now, every movie/show is based on content as compared to actors now. Writers must be given more money. They must be valued. This is a very serious issue that writers as well as industry at large need to address.

What should be done to solve this issue?

Today, actors decide their budget on their own. It should be similar for writers too. Writer’s budget should not be decided by production team. Writers must do their own promotion/publicity. They should maintain their standard. Once on a comedy show judges were forced to call me on stage and appreciated our work. Another key thing lies on part of media. Media should play a sensible role. They should highlight the real news. They should step forward and support writers and their causes. Media people too are writers somewhere and are part of writing fraternity. So they should come and support us. 


Rs. 1000 note awarded to him by Archana Puran Singh- a lifetime achivement 



"Awards & AchievementsBest Writing Award ITA 2011 for Comedy Circus ,Telly Awards 2012 for comedy circus, Limca Book of Records for writing a maximum number of scripts (625) (in 2013)"





Writing for B-town or comedy shows- pick one.

Writing a film is every writer’s dream but television is our base and it has given us a huge platform. Moreover, TV is no more an idiot box. It has become a big screen in itself. I enjoy writing for TV as well as films both. I balance both and enjoy every bit of it.

One thing you have learnt from your professional journey so far.

There are myriad numbers of learning but of all, I have learnt to work on regular basis and to work more hard in a different way. It is of every type- mental, physical and financial too. ‘Kabhi rukna nahi’ is what I have learnt.

I know this is the dicey question but still, who is the best artist you have worked with so far?

I have enjoyed working with all of the artists I have worked with. Picking one is a difficult task and injustice on my part. I have enjoyed with Kapil Sharma, Krushna-Sudesh, Bharti Singh and other film stars too.

What defines a good script?

A good script is that what you are writing is justified. Making a connection with audience, sharing one’s feelings with them in a script is a good script.

Raaj, tell our readers about your take on vulgarity quotient encompassed in scripts today.

Everything is double meaning now. It’s like a shopping mall where you buy and keep with you what is good for you. So it’s similar. You retain what is good for you. Take films like Grand Masti etc, it’s not a TV medium but still people are making it. They want it so we are delivering. We once decided not to include any vulgar dialogues/punches but then messages from viewers started coming that has the writers changed? There should be a limit, but including them is not a big thing today.

Writing a good copy is one of the toughest things to do. How do you give each of your characters an original voice when they speak?

Making a character for TV is different. We don’t focus more on characters in TV. But in films, we have to give due focus on characterization. It becomes difficult in films as time is less as compared to TV shows. It is really a difficult task to pursue.

What all projects you are working on at present?


I am doing a film titled ‘Ye Picture Pakistan Mein Bann Hai’. This is a different cinema. This is not a comedy movie, but it also includes drama, message, satire and love. I’m also working on movie titled ‘Jane Bhi Do Yaaron 2’ and a few more big projects. In TV, I am doing award shows currently and one program is airing these days named ‘Chutki, Shopkeepaa aur Woh’. 

Comments

Popular Posts