In conversation with Arunima Sinha

Arunima Sinha
I was so delighted and honored to meet one and only Arunima Sinha, the first female amputee to climb Mount Everest. She was on a visit at my workplace and held an interactive session where she shared her life journey which was full of trials and tribulations and how she confronted the rough time.

The title of her book ‘Born again- on the mountain’ perfectly depicts the tough odyssey of Arunima Sinha, the first female amputee to climb Mount Everest and thus creating history for India.

She shared her journey from being thrown out of the train by the bad guys, lying on the railway track for hours, lost her leg as the train ran over it to completing her mission of reaching on the top of the world i.e. Mount Everest, within two years of this brutal accident.

Prior this incident, she was a common lasso and was living a normal life like everyone does. But today, she has become a true icon of inspiration who not only motivates the youth but also encourages all the handicap people for living a happier life with an ease. She has become a renowned name today and provides motivational lectures in all big organizations as well as in educational institutions. While on her recent visit in Punjab, we asked about her favorite fundamental right, to which she replies, “Before discussing about my fundamental right, I would like to share that today, though we have been provided with various fundamental rights but none of it is being implemented effectively. Being a girl, I confess that today, there is a vast discrimination as far as girl rights are concerned. The area from where I belong to, there also boys are given preference.”

She raises questions on R-Day, “Why always boys are sent to big institutions for higher studies and girls are admitted to local colleges?; Why girls are still considered to be home products, in many areas of nation?; Why there are no equal rights for women folk too?”

She demands from Government as well as all constitutional bodies to implement all the rights effectively. She shares the moments when her right of freedom of speech and expression is violated, “After I completed Mount Everest mission, I am invited to many schools, colleges, universities and other organizations for delivering motivational lectures. As I am quite straight-forward, there have been many institutions that stopped me from speaking the truth about the rough days I confronted. They were of the view that it will become a political controversy etc.”

She finally demands equal rights for everyone and advises women folk to stand tall, come out and fully utilize the rights provided.

Sharing some tips for all those who are planning to step ahead for Everest mission, she says, “Make a goal and just remain focused towards it. Make your goal-a passion and then see the results. I have gone through a lot many tough times during my journey. I have faced death so many times and so closely, but my spirit and positive approach helped me in accomplishing my goals. Go through the proper training of mountain climbing, take adequate number of oxygen masks too. Rest, keep praying and keep your every step with utmost sincerity and attentively. One wrong step, you will invite death closer to you.”

Note: The interview was originally published in The Times of India supplement, Jalandhar Times.

Comments

Popular Posts