Comedy Queen: Bharti Singh

Bharti Singh
Bharti Singh aka Lalli, a well known comedian who wished to become a rifle shooter (also won national level pistol shooting competition) is very much contended with what she is today. She creates a riot on live shows and has audiences aching with laughter.

But as it is said that every comedian has an emotional and struggling story to tell, similar is with Bharti. When I met her during comedy circus shoot years back, I got an opportunity to cover her for my paper. She was too humble and yes, entertaining too at the same time but got little emotional while depicting her real story. I was touched listening to the struggle that she went through and feel proud that I have covered a lady who put her sweat and blood to attain name, fame and money. Today, she is one of the expensive Indian female comedians.

Excerpts-

Your background
I am a complete Punjabi girl born in holy city Amritsar in 1985. Belonging to a middle class family I confronted with uncountable troubles in my entire childhood and school time. I was two when my father got expired. After that my mother had done so much for us in order to run our livelihood. I was also not able to afford school dresses. I have faced a lot rough time. I am Graduate in arts from BBK DAV College Amritsar. I was always keen to be a sportswoman and wished to become a renowned rifle shooter but destiny lead me to comedy and I am much contended with it. Besides rifle shooter I aimed to become a doctor but again I am now into acting but I am not sad because as it is said ‘Laughter is the best medicine’ thus making me a doctor in itself. When I reached Mumbai I realized that life is not a bed full of roses.

How did it all start?
As I mentioned that I was always wished to become a rifle shooter but somehow due to financial constraints I was not able to buy a personal rifle that costs around four lacs. My friends made me realize that I do mimicry quite well. I gave my first performance in theatre of comedian Sudesh Lehri in a youth festival of my college which took it to a national level. Later same year another renowned comedian Rajiv Thakur motivated me to do a play. Basically he taught me second script. From then I never looked back and opportunities come my way and I grabbed. I started doing plays of Rs 350 each every weekend at Punjab Naatshala Amritsar. And that was the time when I felt Wow as I started earning. My mentors Rajiv Thakur, Sudesh Lehri and Kapil G encouraged me to come to Mumbai and try in Comedy circus. I went, gave auditions and surprisingly none of the jury beamed at my performance. But after a week with God’s grace I got a call from them and got selected. It was 28th March 2008 when I took my first flight to Mumbai in my entire life. I and my mother spend bloody three months alone in such huge city in a hotel for my future. Hence with passage of time and hard work I am now a well known comedian and can buy a rifle of my own

Your launch pad
Laughter Challenge Season 4

Your sexiest asset
If I remember then my co-stars and friends always tease me by saying ‘Bharti you are so cute from top to bottom’ and they play with me as a toy. So I would say my cuteness is my sexiest asset

Favourite attire
I love wearing loose clothes- Not because of my size but I feel comfortable in them. Besides I adore wearing Patiala salwar suit. And if nothing then you will find me mostly in blue track jeans with white kurta

If you were stranded on an island, who would want there with you
I love to be on an island with my personal writer, Harsh Limbajia because I feel that what I am is due to him. I perform what he writes for me and our bonding is quite strong. He quickly comes to know what I am thinking for a certain punch in a script etc. He understands me like a ‘mother’.

Did you set out to be famous or it just happened
Everyone wants to get famous. And as my financial backbone was very weak I had to become famous. But now I realize that with fame and name today I am somewhere getting away from my family and friends

If you were to bring one person alive from history, who would it be?
To be honest then I don’t want to bring anyone alive from history. Not even my father because I believe the death has already been decided by Waheguru. One has to die one day

Your favourite cuisine
I am the most innocent kid of my family as I eat everything what my mother cooks. She is a wonderful cook

Bharti Singh and Kanwarpreet S Narula
What do you like about Punjab?
I love every tiny thing of my Punjab. And to justify it, one can see any Punjabi movie where the
Punjab has depicted so beautifully.

Your interests....
If not comedy then you will find me dancing. Actually I also dance in my performance so I would say rifle shooting undoubtedly. I wish to revive my dreams and to purchase a personal rifle as now I am able to spend money for it

Any causes you stand for
I stand for orphan kids! Whenever it is my birthday or my family members I make sure to visit a orphanage and spend time with cute kids by performing for them, cracking jokes and all.

How can we keep the Punjabi culture intact?
Yes I agree that Punjabi culture is diminishing at a very faster pace. To exemplify then one could observe a Punjabi song where a muteyaar (heroine) is dancing wearing short skirts and kissing etc. It is not that I am criticizing my culture because I am a complete Punjabi girl. So I would suggest that to keep our culture intact we must not mix it with modernization and stick to our traditions and beliefs

Favourite shopping destination
I prefer shopping and spending time in Malls because of one simple reason- you can buy everything from there rather than wasting your time in surfing a product needed in a market. Moreover one can spend quality time there with friends and family

Your most embarrassing momentI think my most embarrassing moment was when in a live show where I was to perform, I got ready wearing suit with sexy lipstick. I was looking very beautiful that day I guess but someone shouted from back and said ‘Oye Moti’!!! I was embarrassed not because the guy called me fat but because he was so handsome that I missed the chance and everyone started laughing at me as usual

Your message for the youth
Friends don’t waste your time in wandering and flirting! Just remember that food, clothing, shelter and work all are equal and one must stand up on his feet to acquire all successfully

Comments

Popular Posts