Feeling pained while penning this down….Old age- Respect it

Each case is a story of harassment and torture. Each case reveals glaring violations of human rights of the elder people. Each case shows how one’s brood can commit such inhuman acts.

Harbeer Singh, 80-year-old retired officer still lives in an old age home. He is well aware of the maintenance and welfare of parents and senior citizens act 2007, he knows the procedure but still don’t want to file a complaint as he is not able to go to courts, Reason- He don’t have much strength to move and to fight against his own children.

This is not only the plight of one, there are number of more similar cases where the parents feel that this act is only meant on papers and not for the use in the real life. When the dreams to hold their grandchildren into their arms turn into reality, the children of these parents force them to get separate.

Ajay Kumar who is living in an old age home since 30 years shares his dilemma, “What the act can do if the children are not willing to give respect to their parents. If by the act I go back to my home, my children will serve me properly for two or three days but not for the remaining life. If the government has planned to implement this act then it should also provide the lawyers and other facilities so that the old persons can acquire the benefit.  If the act is not giving any benefit to the old aged persons then it is of no use. No act can help us until and unless we are provided with the facility of the lawyers. We feel safe here in the old age home and are living in a better condition but if we are living in home then I think we can’t survive more than three months.”

Some of the old aged persons are not even aware of this act.

When TOJ spoke to a lady Surinder Kaur, name changed, 75 years, living in old age home she said, “I am not aware of this act. I am not much educated and don’t know the actual procedure than how can I approach for justice. I can’t walk properly even I can’t go to hospital for regular check up then how can I go to court and file a complaint.. I think these kinds of acts are useless and nobody can help us. If we are not aware, we don’t have strength to move and fight then how can we file a complaint and ask for the maintenance. Moreover I don’t have much money to spend on case.”    

These disfavored persons just need the love and care of their children. One must recall that parents are like the roots of a tree and if roots are shattered then the whole tree would fall down.

Another old aged person Gurcharan Singh of 85 years reveals, “I was a railway contractor. Now I am retired. My son forced me to come here as he supported the ill talks of his better-half. I don’t have any financial problem as I am getting enough pensions but now I am thinking to file a complaint against my son and go back home but the main problem is that I need a person who can fight for me.

Who can walk with me, as it is not possible for me to fulfill the formalities of court? Authorities if made the act must provide enough facilities too to implement it properly.”

The flip side is that despite having so many acts for senior citizens, these people are very happy and satisfied living in old age homes. They are provided with every facility especially the ‘company’ which was missing at their dwells. They do not wish to file any sort of complaint against their beloved children.

Comments

Popular Posts